29.6.13

The First company of... okay, heroes, I've no Kerbals currently

Recently gotten round to re-installing Company of Heroes; they seem to have shifted to steam, which is a goddamn boon since I no longer have to remember my convoluted COH login.  I've also had the opportunity to compare it to COH2, so consider this an epilogue of sorts.
What I imagine the landscape of love and dating to look like...
The cutscenes of COH2 I found to be stiff and lacking character, and I can say that they certainly don't hold a candle to the highly stylised, watercolour cutscenes of COH (above).  These have this effect often seen in animated comics, with static images sliding in relation to one another for effects of movement and depth, and they definitely help to cement the atmosphere of a dreaded undertaking at the beginning and a costly aftermath at the end.  COH2 cutscenes, even away from the interrogation room, simply have no charm.

The UI in COH2 is genuinely something you don't notice being slick until you use something less so, as in COH.  In this case it is marginally less so, but for one thing the units are more difficult to keep track of since they are buried behind some kind of blue shield; in COH2 they are always on display.  If COH2 sorted its buttons out (they sometimes skip a beat, not activating upon a click), this would be a whole-hearted step forward.
A poignant scene of morose victory.
I still cannot give a full opinion of COH yet, since I am only 4 missions into the original campaign (there are 6), it'll be a god knows how long, and god knows how much wasted productivity, before I can review it...  Perhaps...

No comments:

Post a Comment