22.3.12

Project Flying I-Beam Part 2

This is the aluminium chassis designed in parallel to the plywood one:
This version was less bulky, probably lighter and less complicated to build, which is to say I couldn't be fucked to make all the intended dove-tail joints (bless my boring little life); additionally, my big brother (An Engineer at TRL) was concerned that the wooden design might break which is the last thing to want on a scooter that can be flummoxed by a seam in the pavement.

Specs are the same as before:

Specs:
  • Aeolian C4260 600Kv Motor
  • Turnigy Trackstar 150A Car ESC
  • 6s1p Zippy Flightmax 8000mAh 30C Flight Pack
Enough about the past, let us head forth to the present!

This boxy body is essentially what I have above, minus some details like those rakish compound angles on the lid and the box sections on the bottom (squint on the front).
Blurry as fuck image of complete scooter body when in use.

Rear wheel with HTD3 88 tooth sprocket and (absent due to shittiness) Band Brake
Fan hole with sloppily-glued pin for the (poorly executed) Band Brake
Intended Powerplant with integrated belt-tensioner
I am in the process of finalising the powerplant arrangement and braking system; I have de-rated the powertrain to around 800w for my own safety and to protect my scooter from becoming a lithium-fueled mobile hot-plate.  I also have a rudimentary setup to provide braking although this is by no means finalised:
Tektro Caliper Brakes:  These clamp over the front wheel in the usual way.
Unsuccessful attempt to make a rudimentary bracket in order to test the caliper brakes, Aluminium and braking forces, hmmm...